Wednesday, July 30, 2008

UTC Plans $900 Million Dollar Expansion

The dated UTC shopping center in La Jolla is getting a facelift. Among other things, the plan includes:
  • 750,000 square feet of new retail space, including three new anchor stores and 150 shops and specialty boutiques. The center now has 1 million square feet of retail.
  • 250 to 300 condominiums, with 10 percent of them reserved as affordable. There will be two condo towers with one rising as high as 23 stories and the other as much as 15 stories.
  • A movie theater.
  • As much as 5,000 square feet of office space.
  • At least 3,000 new parking spaces, many of them in three new parking garages.

Click here for more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

something that I fail to grasp apparently is why the board could have possibly allowed 900 million dollars to go toward redoing a mall. Don't get me wrong, I love to shop, but the raw facts are that, this is 900 million dollars that is being spent. I agree with the one board member who opposed this, in how it the money should be used for research or science. Or at least improving educational buildings. Apparently the board didn't look at many schools in the area, such as the one a little less then a block away, University City High School. There is graffiti in numerous places, and half of the bathroom stalls are to disgusting to enter. I'm not saying put 900 dollars into improving all the schools in the county, because as much as I would like for that to happen, I know it won't. I'm just saying that there should be some serious budget cuts to this project because the money is needed elsewhere. Once again, as much as I will enjoy this new mall, I just wish that some more good would come from it rather than providing a few more jobs to the community and improving traffic. This money would be better spent providing the needed materials for research facilities, schools, and community parks. I know that if I had 900 million dollars, thats were I would start.